Thursday, February 21, 2013

So Long Grammar Drills!

After a few months of planning, reading, and more planning, last night was my first venture into 20% time with my students (which I'm calling "The Passion Project"), and I was nervous! I am an expert at meticulously planning perfect lessons.  I've been teaching the same class for over 8 semesters now and know exactly what to expect.  The idea of jumping into a project with my students where anything could happen and failure is a quite possible outcome was frightening.

I'm not quite sure how I first learned of 20% time.  I think it may have been thanks to some perusing I was doing in Google communities.  I then came across the TED talk with Daniel Pink and was completely inspired.   As an adult educator, I have always sought to make learning relevant to my students' lives.  So the concept of 20% time really spoke to me.


20% time encourages students to take charge of their own learning, think creatively, use a variety of resources, and collaborate.  These are all skills necessary for success in the modern workplace, and therefore vital to my adult students.

When I began researching 20% time, all of the information I found was for a K-12 context (mostly high school).  The final projects I saw were amazing, but quite advanced.  I teach a high beginning ESL class with students ranging in age from 17-65, all with varying levels of technological literacy and educational background.  I was struggling with how I was going to break this down in a way that was comprehensible.  How was I going to get these students to tap into their passions when most of their lives revolve around work, family, school, and more work.

I bought the book The Passion Driven Classroom by Angela Maiers and Amy Sandvold.  This book has been extremely helpful in providing me with some clarity in how I will attempt to structure my 20% time, which, inspired by this book, I have renamed to "The Passion Project".  I began last night by having the students define passion for me.  I was worried it might not translate, but right away the students excitedly answered "it's some thing you can't live without!", "something you care so much about!".  Students then discussed and answered some questions guiding them in discovering their passions. I allowed students to use native language for this part of the project so that they could fully convey everything on their minds.  The conversation between students was excited and rich.

The next steps will include compiling the students answers along with responses from a goal setting activity done earlier in the semester and identifying students with similar interests.  These students will then be placed in "clubs" that will meet once weekly to complete tasks and then share information with the class.

I have so many ideas about our Passion Projects but am very unsure how things will turn out as each step of the process unfolds.  I am nervous yet very excited to break free from text book and grammar drill ESL learning and see my students realize their full potential.  I openly welcome any comments or advice anyone might have!

2 comments:

  1. I'm so excited to hear more! It's going to be mind-opening to hear what kinds of activities you come up with and how the students grow this semester. What an inspiring project!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Becky,
    How exciting! You are forging the way into adult learning with this Passion Project. It's neat to see that passion was a good word choice for your English language learners.

    I'm excited for you, and excited to read more about it as you proceed.

    Denise

    ReplyDelete